What is it?
12 bit PAL/NTSC or Y/C to SDI broadcast embedding decoder.
Reason to choose it...
It offers the functions of three products (decoder with synchroniser, tracking audio delay and embedder) on one board and handles the whole input into an embedded system in a convenient, space-saving and inexpensive way.
Any applications which require bringing composite or Y/C analogue video into a digital embedded environment. See who's using it.
Try out the EMDEC-200 VisionWeb demo (opens in new window) – you'll see how easy it is to operate EMDEC-200 from your web browser, while exploring the full functionality of the product.
Got a question?
We would be very happy to answer any questions you've got about the EMDEC-200. Either send us an e-mail or get an immediate response by speaking to us now on our Live Chat...
- Main features
- What outputs do I get?
- What do I order?
- Who's using it?
- 12 bit broadcast embedding decoder
- Save money and space: one board replaces decoder with synchroniser, tracking audio delay and embedder
- Converts PAL/NTSC or Y/C to SDI
- Embeds analogue audio
- Video synchroniser times input to local syncs
- Tracking audio delay synchronises video and audio
- Suitable for all sources, from broadcast quality to VHS
- High quality digital filtering and five line comb
- Adjustable timing, gains and levels
- 2 x 2 stereo router
- Maximum of three outputs
- Inputs and outputs accessed by using an appropriate rear module (either RM04 or RM26)
- Housed in Indigo rack frames
- Space-saving: 100mm x 266mm module allows 12 EMDEC-200 in 2U (six in 1U and two in desk top box)
- Flexible control: board edge, GPI, frame integrated control panel, VisionPanel remote control panel, SNMP, ASCII and JSON protocols, Statesman Lite PC software or the web browser-based VisionWeb Control
- Five year warranty (with product registration)
Three products on one board
EMDEC-200 is Crystal Vision’s broadcast embedding decoder, designed to offer the functions of three products on one board.
It replaces a decoder with synchroniser, tracking audio delay and embedder and handles the whole input into an embedded system in a convenient, space-saving and inexpensive way.
With its ability to make systems 25% cheaper, EMDEC-200 is aimed at anyone who needs to bring analogue video into an embedded environment.
Deal with any signals
EMDEC-200 converts PAL/NTSC composite or Y/C video to SDI using a high quality 12 bit decoder which can deal with any source from broadcast quality to VHS, and will accept damaged or jittery signals.
Perfecting the output picture
The data is sampled at 54 Mbit per second (four times oversampled) allowing the highest quality digital filtering. It also offers the latest in comb technology, with a five line comb resulting in exceptional decoding. Adjustable timing, gains and levels all help to perfect the picture.
Synchronise your input
The on-board frame video synchroniser allows untimed inputs to be timed to the local syncs. It will sort out any incorrect frame rates plus any delays by taking its timing from the external analogue reference and will automatically synchronise sources up to one frame apart.
Embed analogue audio
EMDEC-200 allows you to embed analogue audio, just by fitting the 3G-AIP2 audio piggyback.
A 2 x 2 stereo router allows the shuffling of stereo pairs, while the audio can also be monitored from the front of the board using headphones. High quality audio is guaranteed with Crystal Vision’s audio protection.
Keeping the video and audio in time
The internal tracking audio delay tracks the video delay, running the audio fast or slow to ensure the video and audio stay correctly timed and to avoid lip sync errors. You can also add 20ms of fixed audio delay on top of the tracking to compensate for early audio. Predictive tracking can be used to minimise the offset between audio and video delay when video frames are dropped or repeated.
An audio follow output pulse also allows EMDEC-200 to be used with an external tracking audio delay.
Save rack space
EMDEC-200 is a 100mm x 266mm module which fits in the standard Indigo frames (2U, 1U and desk top box), allowing full integration with any other interface or keying product from the Indigo range. Up to 12 boards can be housed in a 2U frame.
It can be used with two different frame rear modules (RM04 and RM26) and gives a maximum of three SDI outputs.
The flexible control options include board edge, an integrated control panel on the AE frames, the VisionPanel remote control panel, SNMP, the Statesman Lite PC Control System or the VisionWeb web browser control. Try the EMDEC-200 VisionWeb demo...
Standard Crystal Vision module 266mm x 100mm
Weight: 200g without piggyback; 240g with piggyback fitted
Power consumption: 6.2 Watts
Composite video input, 1 volt with syncs
625 line PAL or 525 line NTSC
PAL and NTSC Y/C
270Mb/s to SMPTE 259 with inserted EDH
Maximum of three SDI outputs (two outputs with frame rear module RM04 and three with RM26). One less output in each case if Y/C input
<500ps 1kHz jitter and <800ps broadband jitter from stable 300mV Black and Burst reference
Analogue Black and Burst, mixed syncs or video
Amplitude of syncs 150mV to 4V
Optimum jitter performance is from analogue Black and Burst plus 300mV syncs to EBU N14-1988
Sampling: 12 bit precision 54Mbit (four times oversampling)
Exceptional performance is achieved by a 12 bit five line adaptive comb decoder
Frequency response: +/- 0.5dB to 5.5MHz
Gain error: <1%
Differential phase and gain <1.5 degrees, <1.5%
Signal to Noise: <-60dB
Blanking: To analogue PAL/NTSC specifications, with selectable VBI blanking PAL lines 7 to 22 and 319 to 335. NTSC lines 10 to 20 and 273 to 282
VIDEO TIMING ADJUSTMENTS
With a video timing reference the timing of the output (with respect to the reference in) may be adjusted by any number of lines up to a whole video frame. Horizontal timing adjustment is also possible in 37nS steps
With no video timing reference the delay from input to output is set by the same timing adjustments
DELAY THROUGH BOARD
3 lines min – 2 fields + 3 lines max
Manual freeze allows EMDEC-200 to be used as a simple still store. Selecting single field output can counteract any flicker caused by the interlacing of two fields. Either field can be selected
One 3G-AIP2 piggyback can be added to the main board to enable input of 2 x analogue stereo pairs to be embedded into a single audio group
AUDIO TIMING ADJUSTMENTS
The audio is normally delayed by the same amount as the video but an additional delay can be added to the audio of up to 20ms
Tracking delay auto or off
EMBEDDER TIMING PERFORMANCE
Interchannel: <1 clock cycle
Audio to video: Min 320us for AES audio input. Min 1ms for analogue audio input
One miniature front mounted audio jack and switch selects individual stereo audio analogue monitoring on both input and de-embedder
AUDIO FOLLOW OUTPUT
TTL output is provided on the same D-Type as GPIs to indicate the video delay through the synchroniser. The length of the pulse is equal to the length of the video delay
LED INDICATION OF:
Analogue input present
Analogue reference present
Power supplies okay
Delay less than 25 lines
GPI INPUT LEVELS
Electrically: Will tolerate 0V to 30V, pulled up to +5V through 10 kohm
GPI OUTPUT LEVELS
Electrically: Open collector transistors 30V, 330 ohm current limit resistors. Pulled up to +5V through 10 kohm
Recall presets 0 to 15
Video input present
Audio follow output
Board edge with ten character alphanumeric display
Control from integrated control panel on AE frames and remote panel
Statesman Lite allows control from any PC on a network
VisionWeb Control is available via the web server on the frame and allows operation using a standard web browser on a PC or tablet
SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
Control using ASCII and JSON protocols
3G-AIP2 DUAL ANALOGUE AUDIO INPUT PIGGYBACK
Two analogue stereo pairs or four mono channels. 24 bit quantising A to Ds. High input impedance (20 kohm) balanced
INPUT LEVEL RANGE
0dBFS = +28dBu max / 0dBFS = +12dBu min
Factory set default: 0dBFS = +18dBu or +24dBu by on board link
SIGNAL TO NOISE
99dB (+18dBu) rms., 22Hz to 22kHz typ.
TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION
0.004% THD+N rms., 22Hz to 22kHz typ.
-110dB at 1kHz, -90dB at 20kHz, rms., typ.
Digitised output of analogue A to D is automatically locked to video
What outputs do I get?
RM04 rear module label and connections
More about the RM04
Connectors: 4 BNCs and 26-way high density D-Type
Frame slots used: 1
Boards in 2U: 12
Boards in 1U: 6
Boards in desk top box: 2
Why use it: You only need a maximum of two SDI outputs - you'll fit more boards in a frame compared to the RM26
Also used for: No other boards
RM26 rear module label and connections
More about the RM26
Connectors: 10 BNCs and 15-way standard density D-Type
Frame slots used: 2
Boards in 2U: 6
Boards in 1U: 3
Boards in desk top box: 1
Why use it: You want the maximum three SDI outputs
Also used for: No other boards
For more visual technical information, download the EMDEC-200 block diagram.
What do I order?
First you need the 100mm x 266mm module...
- 12 bit PAL/NTSC or Y/C to SDI embedding decoder with synchroniser (allows fitting of one audio input piggyback)
Select one input audio piggyback to fix to the motherboard...
- Analogue audio (two stereo pairs) input piggyback
- 18 Volt regulator for analogue audio configurations (one required if analogue audio piggyback fitted)
Next choose your frame size and power supplies - from 2U to desk top box...
- Indigo 2AE
- 2U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to 12 Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 2SE
- CoolFlow 2U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to 12 Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1AE
- 1U frame with active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1SE
- 1U frame with active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1AE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1SE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo DT
- Desk top box with passive front panel for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply
- Indigo DTSE
- Desk top box with active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- 160 Watts power supply for 1U (non-DP) and 2U frames. 1U frames require one PSU-160i (no redundancy). 2U frames require either one PSU-160i (no redundancy) or two PSU-160i if power supply redundancy is required
You need a rear module to access your inputs and outputs...
- Single slot frame rear module. Allows maximum number of EMDEC-200 in frame (12 in 2U, six in 1U, two in desk top box). Suitable for embedding analogue audio. Gives access to two SDI outputs (or one if Y/C input). The default rear module and suitable for most applications
- Two slot frame rear module. Allows six EMDEC-200 in 2U, three in 1U and one in desk top box. Suitable for embedding analogue audio. Gives access to three SDI outputs (or two if Y/C input)
Finally - control. Use board edge switches, the integrated control panel if you've selected one of the 'AE' frames, a web browser running the free VisionWeb Control (included within the frame software), or alternatively order one of the items below...
- 3U Ethernet remote control panel with touch screen
- Statesman Lite
- Free-of-charge PC Control System - download the latest version
- SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
Who's using it?
Users of the EMDEC-200 embedding decoder include...
- What does it cost? Request a quote for EMDEC-200...
- What controls has it got? Try out the VisionWeb demo for EMDEC-200...
- Want more information? Get the EMDEC-200 user manual (and SNMP MIB) by signing up for the Registered Area now
- The EMDEC-200 module needs to be housed in a rack frame - look at the frame options
- Bought Crystal Vision products in the last 60 days? Register these products now to upgrade your standard three year warranty to five years
From the Indigo frame system...
- ADDEC-210 decoding converter
- ALLDAC broadcast encoding converter with distribution amplifier
- MON210 dual channel monitoring encoder
- TANDEM 310 3G/HD/SD AES/analogue audio embedder/de-embedder
- TANDEM 320 3G/HD/SD dual channel AES/analogue audio embedder/de-embedder
From the Vision frame system...
- TANDEM10-VF 3G/HD/SD AES/analogue audio embedder/de-embedder
Crystal Vision Ltd. is registered in England number 03139895. Registered office: Lion Technology Park, Station Road East, Whittlesford, Cambridge, CB22 4WL, England.
Tel: +44 (0)1223 497049 Fax: +44 (0)1223 497059 E-mail: email@example.com