What is it?
HD/SD short-delay broadcast down converter and distribution amplifier in a minibox.
Reason to choose it...
Because no other minibox down converter shares Q-Down Mini's level of conversion quality nor the short processing delay of just 16 lines which eliminates the need to compensate audio signals for the video delay. Plus there's the flexible outputs – with one loop-through, a dedicated SDI and three SD outputs configurable as mixtures of analogue and digital.
You need to provide down converted feeds for your SD monitors – and you've run out of rack space. It's perfect for attaching directly to the back of monitors. See who's using it.
Got a question?
We would be very happy to answer any questions you've got about the Q-Down Mini. Either send us an e-mail or get an immediate response by speaking to us now on our Live Chat...
- Main features
- What outputs do I get?
- What do I order?
- Who's using it?
- Short-delay broadcast down converter in a minibox
- Ideal for attaching directly to the back of a monitor and providing down converted feeds - compact 165mm x 80mm x 28mm size
- Can down convert 720p HD, 1080i HD and SD at both 50Hz and 59.94Hz
- Get flexible outputs when down converting: configure the three video outputs as mixtures of SD digital and analogue (composite, Y/C, YUV and RGB)
- Unique level of image quality at this price level - sophisticated two dimensional filtering gives broadcast results without the complication of looking at multiple fields or movement detection
- Optimise the performance for your material with four different filter characteristics (sharpest, sharp, soft and softest)
- Short processing delay (just 16 or 52 SD lines) - no need to compensate audio signals for the video delay
- Match other delays in system: select one of the three fixed video delay settings (minimum, 52 SD lines or frame)
- Includes HD to SD aspect ratio converter, with 16:9 Anamorphic, 16:9 to 4:3 Letterbox and 16:9 to 4:3 Full Screen with centre cut
- Local control: configure settings with mini DIP switches on the box or GPIs
- Separate external universal AC power supply available
- Note: Does not use a frame nor a rear module
- Five year warranty (with product registration)
Down converting when you're short of rack space
Q-Down Mini is a standalone down converter designed to meet the demanding requirements of broadcasters.
Q-Down Mini combines the three winning advantages of outstanding picture quality, short processing delay and competitive pricing to create the perfect minibox for attaching directly to the back of SD monitors in space-challenged environments with no spare rack space.
Unique level of image quality in its price range
Q-Down Mini provides a unique level of image quality in its price range – avoiding aliasing while retaining picture sharpness.
The sophisticated two dimensional filtering gives broadcast results without the complication of looking at multiple fields or movement detection – resulting in reliable, artefact-free conversion.
Should you want to optimise the performance for your material, you can also choose from four alternative vertical filter characteristics - sharpest, sharp, softest and soft.
Flexible analogue and digital output combinations
Q-Down Mini features flexible outputs, with a reclocked loop-through of the HD or SD input, a dedicated SDI output and three Standard Definition outputs individually link selectable between analogue (composite, Y/C, YUV and RGB) and digital.
It can down convert 720p and 1080i High Definition at both 50Hz and 59.94Hz, with the down converter bypassed if the input is Standard Definition.
Easy to keep everything in sync
Q-Down Mini’s short processing delay of just 16 lines ((or 52 lines with Letterbox conversions) eliminates the need to compensate audio or other signals for the video delay, keeping everything in sync and making your system design much simpler - and makes it easy to detect real lip sync errors when you're monitoring the video and listening to separate audio.
Match other delays in your system
There are also three fixed video delay settings available: ‘minimum’ (16 or 52 SD lines processing delay, depending on the conversion), ‘fixed’ (52 SD lines) and ‘frame’.
The ‘fixed’ 52 lines delay allows the aspect ratio to be changed live on air without any picture disturbance, while the ‘frame’ of delay can be used to match a variety of equipment or alternatively to connect with equipment that has no delay.
HD to SD aspect ratio conversion - built in
Other useful features include the ability to deal with any HD to SD aspect ratio conversion requirements, with the option of selecting a 16:9 Anamorphic output for 16:9 SD systems and either a 16:9 to 4:3 Letterbox or 16:9 to 4:3 Full Screen with centre cut for 4:3 SD systems.
The aspect ratio can be controlled remotely by using the GPI connections, and setting DIP switches 1 and 2 to follow GPI.
Easy to fix to a monitor
Q-Down Mini’s compact 165mm x 80mm x 28mm size means it fits easily on the back of a monitor – with the flexibility to be orientated in any direction to fulfil the requirements of your application.
The base includes two M3 threaded inserts which make it easy to mount it to a suitable back plate.
Control, LEDs and power
All settings are configured by ten mini DIP switches on the outside of the box, with the Standard Definition outputs selected by using a combination of these switches and internal moveable links. Two LEDs indicate the presence of power and an active HD or SD serial input.
Q-Down Mini features six BNCs for the video signals and a 9-way D-Type plug for the power connections and access to the GPIs, with a separate external universal AC power supply (pictured here) available.
Crystal Vision minibox 165mm x 80mm x 28mm
Power consumption: 6.5 Watts
Power input 7-14V DC. Separate external universal AC power supply available
Connectors: Six BNCs for the video signals and a 9-way D-Type plug for the power connections and access to the GPIs
Mounting: Two M3 threaded inserts (50mm apart) facilitate mounting to a suitable back plate. Q-Down Mini can be orientated in any direction
One HD or SD input with reclocking
270Mb/s or 1.5Gb/s serial compliant to EBU 3267-E, SMPTE 259 and SMPTE 292-1
HD cable equalisation up to 140m with Belden 1694A or equivalent (approx. 100m with Belden 8281). SD cable equalisation >250m Belden 8281 or equivalent
Input return loss: -15dB for 50MHz to 1.5GHz
Input fail output: Blue
One loop-through of the HD or SD input, one dedicated SDI output and three video outputs
The three video outputs can be a mixture of SDI and analogue (PAL/NTSC, Y/C, YUV and RGB) and are configured using combination of switches on the outside of the box and three internal moveable links
Output frame rate same as input frame rate
Component: YUV and RGB 1 Volt +/- 2% into 75 ohm. Syncs on R, G and B
Composite: 1 Volt +/- 2% with syncs into 75 ohm. Selectable setup and Betacam levels
720p50 to 625/50
720p59.94 to 525/59.94
1080i50 to 625/50
1080i59.94 to 525/59.94
ANALOGUE COMPONENT PERFORMANCE
Sampling: Video input is 10 bit processed for 12 bit output DACs
Luminance: +/- 0.3dB to 5.5MHz
Chrominance: +/- 0.4dB to 2.5MHz
Noise: <-67dB weighted luminance or chrominance
Gain error: < 1%
ANALOGUE COMPOSITE PERFORMANCE
Sampling: Video input is 10 bit processed for 12 bit output DACs
Luminance: +/- 0.3dB to 5 MHz
Noise: <-67dB weighted luminance or chrominance
Differential gain: <2% typ
Differential phase: +/- 1 degree typ.
PICTURE PROCESSING WHEN DOWN CONVERTING
Sophisticated two dimensional filtering gets broadcast results and avoids the complication of looking at multiple fields or movement detection, resulting in reliable, artefact-free conversion with broadcast filter quality
When down converting the performance can be optimised by choosing one of four alternative filter characteristics (sharpest, sharp, soft, softest)
When the input is SD the board processing is bypassed, so that the signal is passed without degradation
HD TO SD ASPECT RATIO CONVERSION
16:9 Anamorphic (for 16:9 SD systems) and either 16:9 to 4:3 Letterbox or 16:9 to 4:3 Full Screen with centre cut (for 4:3 SD systems)
Selected by using the switches on the outside of the box or GPIs
FIXED VIDEO DELAY
There are three video delay settings available:
‘minimum’ – the video processing delay. With an HD input the delay is 16 SD lines (Anamorphic or Full Screen) or 52 SD lines (Letterbox). With an SD input the delay is 3.8us
‘fixed’ (52 SD lines) – this allows the aspect ratio to be changed live on air without any picture disturbance, for example
‘frame’ – can be used to match a variety of equipment or to connect with equipment that has no delay
LED INDICATION OF:
GPI INPUT LEVELS
Active pull to ground, pulled up to +5V through 10 kohm
GPI OUTPUT LEVELS
Electrically: Open collector transistors 30V, 270 ohm current limit resistors. Pulled up to +5V through 6800 ohm
Four GPI inputs - two used to select aspect ratio (switch 1 and 2 should be set to GPI)
Two GPI outputs - one indicating loss of input
All settings are configured by mini DIP switches on the outside of the box:
Switches 1 and 2 set the aspect ratio conversion
Switches 3 and 4 select the analogue output format (used in combination with three internal links that select analogue or SDI output)
Switches 5 and 6 set the video delay
Switch 7 adds or removes a +7.5IE pedestal for NTSC-M or NTSC-J (ignored if the analogue video is PAL)
Switch 8 selects Betacam levels when the output format is set to YUV
Switches 9 and 10 select the filter characteristic
What outputs do I get?
For more visual technical information, download the Q-Down Mini block diagram.
What do I order?
First you need the 165mm x 80mm x 28mm minibox...
- Q-Down Mini
- Minibox broadcast down converter with one reclocked HD or SD input loop-through, one dedicated SDI output and three configurable Standard Definition outputs
Next - power. You can create your own power supply, or alternatively buy Crystal Vision's external universal AC power supply below...
- Q-Down Mini PSU
- External universal power supply for Q-Down Mini, with IEC input and 9-way D-Type output
Because Q-Down Mini is a standalone minibox, you don't need to buy a frame nor rear module. Q-Down Mini is controlled by mini DIP switches on the box or GPIs - therefore you will not require a control panel or PC software.
Who's using it?
Users of the Q-Down range of down converters include...
- What does it cost? Request a quote for Q-Down Mini...
- Want more information? Get the Q-Down Mini user manual by signing up for the Registered Area now
- Bought Crystal Vision products in the last 60 days? Register these products now to upgrade your standard three year warranty to five years
- Up-Down 3G 3G/HD/SD up/down/cross converter
- Up-Down-A 3G 3G/HD/SD up/down/cross converter (audio)
- Up-Down-AFD 3G 3G/HD/SD up/down/cross converter (audio/AFD)
- Up-Down-AT 3G 3G/HD/SD up/down/cross converter (audio/AFD/audio routing/timecode)
- Up-Down-ATX 3G 3G/HD/SD up/down/cross converter (audio/AFD/audio routing/timecode/teletext/closed captions)
- Up-Down-AS 3G 3G/HD/SD synchronising up/down/cross converter (audio)
- Up-Down-AFDS 3G 3G/HD/SD synchronising up/down/cross converter (audio/AFD)
- Up-Down-ATS 3G synchronising 3G/HD/SD up/down/cross converter (audio/AFD/audio routing/timecode)
- Up-Down-ATXS 3G 3G/HD/SD synchronising up/down/cross converter (audio/AFD/audio routing/timecode/teletext/closed captions)
- Q-Down-AG 3G 3G/HD/SD short-delay broadcast down converter (audio)
- Q-Down-ATG 3G 3G/HD/SD short-delay broadcast down converter (audio/timecode/closed captions)
Not sure which converter is best for your application? Have a look at our up and down converters comparison chart to help you make a decision...
Crystal Vision Ltd. is registered in England number 03139895. Registered office: Lion Technology Park, Station Road East, Whittlesford, Cambridge, CB22 4WL, England.
Tel: +44 (0)1223 497049 Fax: +44 (0)1223 497059 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org